- Clerk of Courts
- Marriage License
Marriage License Applications are issued at the Clerk's Office located on the 2nd floor of the Hancock County Courthouse. Please be aware that the application process takes approximately fifteen to twenty minutes. Please arrive no later than 3:30 pm to allow for adequate processing time.
Marriage Application Online
In order to expedite the application process, please visit the link below to complete the application online prior to coming into the office to complete the process. Please note that the application is held in pending status for a limited period of time.
The following requirements must be met in order for this office to issue a Marriage License.
Hancock County Residents
- One applicant must be a Resident of Hancock County. If your identification does not show your current address, please bring proof of residency.
- Both applicants must be present.
- Both applicants must have proper, unexpired identification. The following are acceptable forms of identification:
- Federal or State Identification Cards such as an Indiana Drivers License
- Original or Certified Copy of their Birth Certificates issued by the Health Department. Unfortunately, gift copies from the hospital are not acceptable forms of the Birth Certificate
- U.S. Passport or Military I.D.
- Both applicants will be asked the following information about their parents: (if known)
- Parent's full name: (First, Middle and Last)
- Mother's maiden name
- State in which parents were born
- If either applicant has previously been married; the date and reason the last marriage ended.
The application fee/document fee is $29 and includes one certified marriage certificate. Additional certified copies can be requested for a fee of $4 each. Payment by cash, money order, cashier's check, or most major credit cards is accepted. There is a $1.75 fee for using debit/credit cards. Please note that the Clerk's Office does not accept personal checks.
The Marriage License is valid in any county in the State of Indiana for 60 days from date of issuance. If the marriage ceremony is not performed within that timeframe, reapplication is required.
In addition to the above required information, the following restrictions apply.
- Both applicants must be out-of-state residents.
- The wedding must take place in Hancock County.
- The application/document fee is $69 and includes one certified marriage certificate. The fee must be payable in cash, money order or cashier's check. Debit/Credit is accepted, however, there is a $1.75 fee for using this method. The Clerk's Office does not accept personal checks.
To obtain a certified copy of a marriage license, please provide the following information: groom's name, bride's maiden name, date of marriage, along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
Mail request along with a $4 money order.
Please note: Money orders should be made payable to:
Hancock County Clerk's Office
9 E Main Street
Greenfield, IN 46140