Neither the Hancock County Clerk nor staff may give legal opinion or advice; therefore, contacting an attorney may be best. It is recognized that some people involved in litigation would prefer to handle matters on their own, so this page is to assist in navigating the court system.
The State of Indiana has developed a self-service website to download the forms for name change. Please follow this link to access the website, Indiana Supreme Court: Self-Service Legal Center, to locate the packet suitable for the circumstance and select the Electronic Fillable Option.
The following items are required to make application for name change in Hancock County:
- Pro Se Appearance: Need 1 original
- Verified Petition: Need 1 with original signatures
- Notice of Hearing: Need 1 original
- Order on Verified Petition for Change of Name: Need 1 original
- Notice of Filing of Proof of Publication: This should be filed after publication in the local paper, but before the hearing for name change
- Consent to Change of Name of Minor: Need 1 with original signatures (please note: this is only needed if petition to change the name of a minor child under the age of 18).
Fees & Accepted Forms of Payment
Please bring all completed forms to the Clerk's office along with the filing fee of $157.
Please bring cash or money order.
The Hancock County Clerk's Office does not accept personal checks.