Submit a Petition to the Court

Neither the Hancock County Clerk nor staff may give legal opinion or advice; therefore, contacting an attorney may be best. It is recognized that some people involved in litigation would prefer to handle matters on their own; however, ex-parte communication to the Judge is not allowed.

All correspondence with the Courts must be filed in the Clerk's Office. A copy of the filing must be provided to all parties of record on the case, pursuant to a Certificate of Service.

This section of the website offers an example format on how to draft a petition to the Court. Please note that this format is ordered by the Hancock County Judges and must be neatly typed or printed. Any request to the Court is subject to rejection if the same is not legible.


Many forms are available on the Indiana Judicial Branch Self-Service Legal Center, and there may be a form on the website that will suit your needs instead of creating a petition yourself.